1440 Multiversity Service Week
A Week of Free, Best-in-Class Professional Development for Nonprofit Teams
December 9 – 13, 2019
Thank you for all of your interest and support!
Response was tremendous and applications are now closed for this year.
Central to the founding vision of 1440 Multiversity is a commitment to be a locus for learning, growth, and new relationships. From the moment campus opened, founders Joanie and Scott Kriens and team felt compelled to ensure that nonprofit leaders and visionaries had special access to 1440’s resources. To accomplish this goal, 1440 Multiversity’s Service Week was created.
Each year we pause normal operations at 1440 for five days and host this unique campus-wide program designed solely for teams from nonprofit organizations. Nonprofit employees, board members, and stakeholders are invited to gather, learn, and collaborate with one another and industry peers.
This innovative, holistic, and complimentary offering for staff, board members, and key stakeholders of local and national nonprofits aims to help teams:
- Engage in organizational development work, conflict resolution, strategic planning, and culture enrichment
- Be exposed to new ideas and gain new capacities for success
- Enjoy revitalizing down time to counteract burnout
- Enlarge networks and find new collaborators
- Inspire new depth of relationship.
Resources and Downloads
What to Expect
1440 Multiversity will provide free room and board from Monday night through Friday afternoon for all attendees, as well as free access to stimulating and inspiring lectures and workshops led by expert consultants.
This entire event is self-organizing. Team members are free to choose which workshops to attend once they arrive on campus. There is no need to preregister for sessions.
There is a deposit required to register, but the deposit will be fully refunded once teams arrive and check in for the program.
Applications to take part in Service Week must be submitted by organizations, not individuals. Applications will be accepted from July 1, 2019, to November 1, 2019. Approved applicants will be notified as approved.
Priority will be given to the following applicants:
- Organizations that send 3 – 4 people from their leadership group. The preferred organizational profile will include the Executive Director and 2 – 3 members of the leadership team (which may include a key board member or stakeholder)
- Teams who can attend the entire week of sessions
- Early applicants
- Local organizations with team members who live within driving distance of 1440 Multiversity and do not require accommodations.
If for some reason your organization does not meet every facet of the prioritized profile, we still encourage you to apply.
Workshop Topics Include:
- Board staff relations
- Fundraising: key precepts for successful execution
- Leadership in nonprofit organizations
- How to best handle difficult conversations
- Financial planning and budget approaches
- Strategic planning: best practices and successful approaches
- Collaborative partnerships: how to get the most from them and how to avoid mistakes
- Making your case: how to broaden your appeal and network
- Strategies for growth and scaling your mission and impact
- Stress and burnout: organizational strategies to build in resilience and longevity for staff and board members.
The 1440 Multiversity campus boasts a variety of accommodation types. We will distribute accommodation assignments on a first come, first served basis with all effort made to accommodate the needs of each group.
Please note that early application increases the odds of getting the most preferred type of accommodations. Almost all room assignments will be shared, so please indicate on the application if your team members can share with one another or would prefer to be paired with roommates from another organization.
Each day of Service Week will include two workshop sessions, with an additional session at night. Some of the workshops will be 2 – 3 hour sessions and others might be longer and/or encompass the whole day or even multiple days.
Participants can self-select which presentations to attend, but once you choose a workshop to attend, you must stay for the duration, even if the workshop is day-long or multiday.
There will be important keynotes scheduled on some evenings and other, unstructured evenings will allow for relaxing free time and the chance to make new connections with those outside your group.
Participants are invited to make full use of the 1440 amenities, including the infinity-edge hot tub, forest trails, Fitness Center, and signature wellness classes.